Translate Inner Jobber

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Show Me Your Teeth

I know I'm not alone in finding a nice set of teeth to be very attractive.  And not just the cleanliness, but the size and shape.  Here are some teeth I particularly admire.


Ezekiel Jackson's teeth are very white, but they are also large and powerful, like the man himself.


Some may say Jomo doesn't have much reason to smile lately, but when he does, those teeth stand out!  (His beard really makes them pop, but I couldn't find a bearded smiling picture.  I think he's kind of too cool to smile all that much.)



Matt Striker's white teeth always stand out against his tan face.  So clean and handsome!



I've had a crush on Alanis Morissette and her teeth since "Jagged Little Pill"!  But it's her second album that's always been my favorite.  Is it because her teeth are featured so prominently on the cover of "Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie"?  Probably not entirely, but it doesn't hurt!


Poe is beautiful and talented, and her teeth have a very special place in my heart.  I had a back-row bottom tooth just like she does!  And I was so happy to see someone else with teeth like that.  When I was a kid, I needed horrible nerdy stuff, braces and special shoes for my ankles, but we couldn't afford any of those things.  Later, in high school, the dentist said the braces thing was a medical thing, it was that or break my jaw or whatever, so then the insurance covered braces and I had to get them.  And as my teeth straightened, I was a little sad at how they changed, and I kind of felt like a fraud.  But then in my first year of college, I was out of braces but used a retainer, but I stopped going to my orthodontist because for any of the appointments I would have had to miss classes.  And I took that first year of college very seriously.  I even had backstage passes to a Garbage concert in Chicago but I didn't go, because it was the week before finals.  (I haven't always made the best decisions.)  So then my teeth gradually went back to some of their former crookedness--not the medical hazard they used to be, but I feel better about it, much more natural.  And I love Poe's teeth for being crooked as much as I love Alanis' teeth for being straight.


Speaking of Poe.  If I had to pick just one album to say was my favorite album of all albums ever, I really, really think I'd pick "Haunted" by Poe.  It was originally released on Halloween 2000, which means it has an eleventh birthday tomorrow, which I can't believe.  Because I'm not very good with words, here is an online music store's review:

HAUNTED, Poe's second release, is a concept album inspired by some recordings she found of her late father's speaking voice. Poe sampled those recordings and incorporated them into a narrative that's ostensibly about her feelings for and relationship with her father. The more you listen, though, the clearer it becomes that HAUNTED is an album about the big issues that affect all of humanity (life, death, family). The effect of the dead man's voice framed by Poe's eclectic arrangements (rock, hip-hop, electronica and more) is an eerie one, but there's enough thematic consistency and solid songwriting here to make the album a powerful statement rather than just an exercise in nostalgic melancholy.

No comments:

Post a Comment