Translate Inner Jobber

Saturday, August 5, 2023

Greg Clausen, Giant Among Men


"But, Sean Pford," I'm pretending like you're saying, "it's the weekend!  Who reads blogs on the weekend?  Who WRITES blogs on the weekend?!"  Well you see, little one, it's really Tuesday night.  But I'm gonna put this post in cryo, and thaw it out for Saturday.  Back in my "Here's a video on YouTube" days, I'd be posting weeks in advance.  (Sorry to ruin the magic by showing how the sausage is made.)  They used to use a very similar process with SmackDown.

Anyway, check out Greg here.  Seven feet tall!  There are a lot more great images at Big Don's Boys.  Thanks, Big Don!  Anyway, seven feet, 270 lbs., he'd have to be pretty impressive in the ring, right?  Right?  Unless...could he get tricked by smaller, meaner opponents?  Is he wholesome, yet naïve?  Or does his clean-cut image belie an underlying sneakiness?  And did I use the word "belie" correctly?  It looks weird!

What do you say?  How would you cast Greg?  Jobber?  Non-jobber?  (I don't really think "heel" is the right opposite to "jobber" in this case.  You can be a heel jobber, like the Gambler.)  Heel/Face; opposites.  Jobber/Non-jobber; opposites.  Is there a better word to use than "non-jobber"?  Not "midcarder" because that excludes the non-jobber top tier talent.  "Champ" would only apply to a select few who had been champions.  UNLESS we used "champ," not as in "literally was a champion," but as in, "could conceivably become a champion one day."  So what's your vote?  Do we say Jobber/Champ, or Jobber/Non-jobber?  And does it feel to you like I'm talking an awful lot?  Am I a neon angel on the road to ruin, in this case the "road to ruin" meaning me freaking out and deleting all my blog posts again?!  Plus haven't I given you like twenty questions to answer?











No comments:

Post a Comment